While the Morning Stars Sing: An Anthology of Spiritually Infused Speculative Fiction - Lyndon Perry, Kat Heckenbach, Stoney M. Setzer, Margaret Karmazin, Jonathan Shipley, Cate Gardner, Rachel Starr Thomson, T.J. McIntyre, J.J. Steinfeld, Rachel Kolar, Mark Joseph Kiewlak, Michael W. Garza, Fred Warren, Vonnie Winslow Crist, Joyce Frohn, Carole McDonnell,
The best short stories are those that touch us in our personal spaces--like a song that vibrates our heart chords with just the right melody, meter, and words. They speak to us at that place where we're the most receptive for a given place and time.

The collection of stories, poems, and illustrations bound within the covers of While the Morning Stars Sing will speak to you in that way if you're open to speculative musings about life with spiritual themes. They are generally very overt in following their genres: whether science fiction ("We Are Us" by T.J. McIntyre), horror ("The Blood of Thousands" by Steve Goble), fantasy ("Patron Saint" by Breanna Teintze), romance ("Butterflies Dancing" by Rachel Thomson), or even folklore ("A Fisherman's Tale" by Pete Mesling).

Each has harmonizing chords, some louder than others, that enhance the melody of their narrative with a tone evoking deeper meanings, like a vocal backed by organ or choir.

I especially liked "Fragments" by Aaron Polson for it's buildup of mystery that ends with an aching heart-tug, and "Mound of Mud" by Fred Warren for its simple humor and appealing characters operating within a fantastic situation; and "One Blink For Yes" by Margaret Karmazin because it proves that someone besides me has read Journeys Out of the Body.

The "spiritually infused" theme of the collection is an excellent orchestration by the editor, Lyndon Perry, and aptly resonates with the stories published on his website, Residential Aliens.

My own contribution to the anthology is "Davis and the Goth," which is my (embellished) reminiscence about being bullied in Bible Camp with the fervent desire for deliverance. It ends with a twist in the very last sentence that you probably would have to have grown up in a fundamentalist church to really appreciate.

I love that my story is part of this collection and am honored to be allowed in among such outstanding storytellers.

So, in a nutshell, I highly recommend this anthology of speculative fiction. Buy it as you would buy an album of pleasing music. Read each story and poem, view each illustration, to hear the artist's message. Then return again and again for entertainment, enlightenment, and inspiration.

Let the Morning Stars sing to you.